Pigeons Facts, Life, species and Attributes Explains everything about pigeons. How they live and born.which things pigeons eat and many things about pigeons. Pigeons are also known as “rock doves”. They are monogamous and will lay one to two eggs that hatch within eighteen days. Pigeons build nests around farms, warehouses, mills and grain storage. They also inhabit parks, buildings, and bridges in cities.
- Common Names: Pigeon, dove, rock dove
- Family: Columbidae
- Bird Order: Columbiformes
- Varieties: 350 recorded varieties
- Origin: Europe, Asia
- Subspecies: Columba livia,targia, and more
- Colors: Grey, white and black
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Aves
- Legs: 2
- Shape: Bird
- Wings: Yes
The wild pigeon can be found in coastal areas as well as the undomesticated pigeons are located almost exclusively in aspects of human habitation.
Description (Adult rock-species):
- 32-37 cm long.
- 64-72 cm wingspan.
- Black bill with off-white cere.
- Red feet and legs.
- Distinctive twin black wing bars.
- White back feathers.
- Dark bluish-grey head, neck.
- Chest with glossy greenish and reddish-purple glowing throughout the neck and wing feathers.
- Breeds throughout every season with peak breeding periods in spring and summer.
- All Columbiformes are an amalgamation (mate forever).
- Wild birds breed on coastal cliffs and a few inland cliffs.
- Feral birds breed on or perhaps buildings, usually in urban areas.
- Two white eggs which are breed by both dad and mom for 17-19 days.
- The squab (chick) has yellow down and also a pink bill.
- Squabs are fed on ‘crop milk’ by single parents.
- Fledging period is concerning 30 days based on time of year.
- Pigeons can breed at a few months of age.
Seeds are the major portion of the diet. nevertheless, it varies greatly in line with species. Some ground feeding species (granivorous species) eat fruit and take insects and worms. One species, the Atoll Fruit Dove, has adapted to taking insects and small reptiles. The feral pigeon present in urban areas exists exclusively on a diet of seed (normally from human sources) and human refuse, like fast food waste. Wood pigeons employ a varied diet including vegetables and berries.
Characteristics and Attributes Of Pigeons:
- Pigeons can fly at altitudes of 6000 feet or more
- They can fly at average speeds as high as 77.6 mph but are already recorded flying at 92.5 mph.
- They also viewed as to navigate by sensing the earth’s magnetic field and utilizing the sun for directions. And discover their way to home.
- Pigeons (and all sorts of the Columbidae family) drink by sucking water and utilizing their beaks like straws. Most birds sip water after which throw their head to swallow.
- Pigeons, like humans, are able to see in color, they’re able to also see ultraviolet light. Apart from on the spectrum that humans cannot see. As a result, pigeons in many cases are used in search and rescue missions.
- Pigeons are actually found to secure the ‘mirror test’, the opportunity to recognize its very own reflection within a mirror. The pigeon is among only 6 species, plus the only non-mammal, to own this ability.
- Moreover, Pigeons are highly intelligent and recognize all 26 letters with the alphabets. In this case, they also are able to conceptualize.
- Pigeons have a special attribute to differentiate between photographs and in many cases two different human beings on a single photograph.
Varies greatly from 3-5 years right through to 15 years influenced by many factors, including natural predation and human interference.